Tuesday 20 September 2011

Farnell Stuff Review

So I was stumbling around on the internet in a semi-drunken state one Wednesday afternoon (as you do when visiting your sister's pub..) and I discovered I had an email from a nice chap at Farnell asking me to review some stuff for him. My initial thoughts were the result of a head on collision between "it's a phishing attempt/spam" and "FREE STUFF!"
fast-forward a week or two and I now have in my possession some 3 watt LEDs some AA battery holders and some ATMega328s.

Starting with the LEDs, I basically went for the best brightness to price ratio while not being SMT. I chose amber because I have plans for a future project involving these.

Fluff not included. From LEDs



The first thing I noticed about these was that they don't come with a mounting kit, so I had to place another order for the nuts and washers. Moral of this story: first time round you will always forget something.
Once everything else arrived I decided to throw together a quick test, so I threw together the first LED assembly
From LEDs
and set the hotglue gun to 11:
From LEDs
If there was an award for ugly bodges, I'd need a bigger house for all the display cabinets...

*maths time*
That's 4x 46Ω resistors giving 11.5Ω. 
The batteries are about 4.8V, minus the forward voltage of the LEDs (2.3V) gives us 2.5V
2.5V divided by 11.5Ω = ~217mA
The LEDs can take up to 750mA continuous and thus be significantly brighter, but my brain wasn't working when I put the test together.

Here's a picture of the test that followed:
Indicator Vs LED From LEDs
No points for guessing what the final project will involve :P
Once I get a microcontroller involved I'll try driving one at 1amp (the absolute maximum for 10ms pulses) though I don't think 4AA batteries will last long at that.

All in all these LEDs are pretty awesome and will definitely do the job for my upcoming emergency hazard light project

No comments:

Post a Comment